Can I first say, I have total baby envy for all you expectant mothers. My daughter is turning 2 in May and it’s gone by too quickly!
Three lovely women I know are actually expecting very, very soon, and two of them are true rocker girls: Jeannie, loves hair bands, spent much of her twenties on the Sunset Strip and plays guitar; Annie, used to sing in a band and actually married a rocker!
So it got me thinking, what kind of baby showers would I throw these music–loving ladies? Or, rather . . .
What should a rockin’ baby shower look like?
Not every expectant parent wants a Pinterest approved, perfectly planned shower. Some people wouldn’t mind a rockin’ show. So here are my tips for “How to Throw a Rockin’ Baby Shower.”
1) First off, it starts with the invite: tickets, show(er) tickets, of course! And, for the special guest parents, make sure they receive VIP tickets.
2) Choose or create a rockin’ venue. My husband scoffed at my idea of holding a baby shower at a rock club. “Have you seen what a place like The Roxy or Whisky looks like with the lights on?” he said to me. I told him, “Then turn the lights off!”
Okay, so maybe renting a club for an afternoon or early evening shower may be too much, but you can create a rock club setting at your home — unless you could rent a space like The Sayers Club, with its très hip ambiance. (Definitely check out our Small Talk with The Sayers Club’s Jason Scoppa!)
3) Invite rock royalty! Your guest list should be a who’s who from rock history. While members from Van Halen probably won’t be RSVPing for just anyone’s shower, you can have all your guests come dressed as her or his — making it a coed shower would totally rock — favorite rock star. Our Idolize board on Pinterest is a great place to go for inspiration.
LP covers Aerosmith’s “Dream On”
4) Of course, have a band play! So maybe not everyone (or anyone) at the party is a musician, but that’s what karaoke is for (or so my dad says). Your VIP guests will love it. Extra points if you can actually get someone to crowd surf, for sure. Maybe any little kids in attendance? Just not the pregnant guest of honor!
5) And, no doubt, you must have a fun rock-inspired spread for people. It can range from a rock-inspired menu of guitar cupcakes and “California Dreamin” rolls. Be creative!
6) Don’t forget great games to play. And, of course, play our “Name That Tune” Baby Shower Game! It will really test everyone’s rock knowledge. And the prize for the winner? We’re happy to help with that!
We want to help you with your baby-shower planning. Not just with our tips and games, but the prizes. So we’re giving away one Good Day, Goodnight bundle to one (1) lucky winner. To enter, just answer the question, “What should a rockin’ baby shower look like?” below in the comments by April 11 at 12 pm PST to be entered into our random draw.