DIY Easter Egg Music Shaker
Easter is right around the corner. In the weeks prior we plan the most festive ways to celebrate the holiday. There’s typically sweets (we’ll share a special recipe for all you parents soon) and there are decorations. We’ve seen some impressive painted eggs (shared on our Pinterest), but let’s be real, when you’re busy with little ones, they rarely turn out as fabulous and otherworldly.
So we settle for our favorite type of DIY, the simple kind!
And we’ve got just the one for an easy, attention-holding shaker. These 3 Easter egg shaker combinations will keep the house rocking long after the Easter Bunny disappears. Plus, they’re made in a way that your littlest musician can play along without risk of getting bonked on the head.
Here’s what you need…
- 3 plastic eggs -This season the pre-decorated variety are plentiful. You could mix and match solid eggs, or toss in a patterned number to spice things up.
- Corn kernels, Lentil beans and Rice - Each egg will have its own unique sound. Kernels will be loudest and rice the softest when shaken.
- Ribbon or leather rope
- Super glue or Washi Tape
- Using one side of the scissors, spin in a hole at each end of plastic egg to widen the hole for insertion of leather.
- Weave leather through the top and bottom of the egg. The loose ends should now be hanging inside of the egg.
- Fill each egg with a few tablespoons of the dried beans and grains.
- Tie loose ends of leather into a knot, leaving only enough slack in the leather on the outside to place your child’s hand through. This will allow you to hide the loose ends inside the egg. If you’re using ribbon, you can dress up the shaker more by weaving the loose ends on the outside of the egg and tying into a bow.
- Now line the the inner rim of the bottom half of the egg with glue and click egg together. Or, if using tape, you can allow your little one to put the egg together and place tape all the way around the edge where both halves connect. Like we said, super simple. Now it’s time to put on the tunes (Hello, Maroon 5), and let your little one play along with shaker in tow.